Crowns (caps) are dental restorations that are tooth shaped and sized used to cover a natural tooth restoring its shape, size, strength, appearance and function. Crowns fully cover the visible portion of a tooth above the gum line. Crowns are typically constructed of gold, metal alloys, porcelain, resin, zirconia or a combination of these dental materials.
- Restores a tooth lacking anatomical supportive structure
- Protection for weak teeth
- Provides a cover for ill-shaped natural teeth
- Cosmetic improvement in appearance
- Helpful in proper chewing, speaking
- Smile improvement
The life expectancy of crowns with proper dental hygiene and regular dental checkups can be 5—15 years.